November 19, 2013

Phew!

Last entry was SUPER heavy and filled with deep internal monologues that should sometimes just stay internal. But sorry, I'm not sorry. Sometimes, a gal's gotta let it out. But, I thought I'd bring things back to a more sunny, springy, Trish-like tenor and tell you all a funny story.

Recently, I've been on a health kick. This includes eating better, walking more, and going to the local, shady gym to receive training in kickboxing and weight lifting. Considering how small this town is, I'm in awe that they have such classes available. Side note, I've met some really nice ladies by doing this. And some not so nice ladies, but all of my encounters are hilarious and awesome at the end of the day.

So, in my efforts to eat healthier, I've been buying dry beans from the supermarket and soaking and cooking them myself. This is not only cost effective, but healthier! And I get to flavor them in whatever way I like. Sometimes I simply boil and eat. Other times, I toss them in with some spinach. But my favorite means of stuffing my face is through roasting them! Roasted beans are crispy, delicious, and addictive. Much like my ex-favorite food, chips. Sorry, chips. You know I'll always love you.

Last Sunday, I meant to do just that. I thought some roasted beans with a nice omelet would make a great dinner. I got up around 9:00 and started soaking the beans. And so they soaked for around 7 hours. Plenty of time for them to get a little soft. Without a second glance at the beans, I drained them, washed them, and put them on to boil. I let them boil for around two hours, but they still weren't getting any softer! I couldn't figure out why.

I took a nibble at one piping hot bean and thought, Gosh, these beans taste funny.

Looking into the pot, I carefully studied my beans... And realized, with the force of a feather pillow to the face, that they weren't beans.

They were peanuts.

I mean, really, can you tell the difference at a glance?!

After laughing at myself for a good three minutes, I drained my peanuts, salted them, added some chili powder and threw them into the oven for roasting instead. Bonus: they were de-licious! Are delicious, I should say, as I'm still eating them.

Ultimately, the lesson here is, when life gives you peanuts, roast them anyway.

Happy cooking, all!

No comments: