December 13, 2012

Little Dragons

Go 'head and dust yo' shoulders off, Group 44!

We've officially been sworn in as United States Peace Corps Volunteers. My Ukrainian is at the intermediate mid-level. I've eaten calo. I've been in Ukraine for almost 90 days. It's wild, man.

I've been having quite the time. I'm constantly learning from the amazing people who've taken time out of their day to help me. Leaving my host family was difficult for that reason, because they were so incredibly attentive to me. But we're already keeping in touch. And now, I live in an apartment next door to my counterpart, and her family has taken me under their wing. Just now, I'm using two items that would've otherwise been useless to me without her husband's handy work. I have a lamp, I have a desk, I have a space-heather. Life is good.

My apartment is cool as can be, and I mean that in both the slang and actual meaning. It's cold. But again, space-heater! I'm super warm so long as I'm keeping it on.

I'm also going to miss my cluster mates. They were the best people I could've been placed with, and I'm happy to say that they're not terribly far away. I'll be seeing them soon, possibly for Christmas.

Here's a picture of us at Swearing In, making the Crazy-Nick face
Speaking of Christmas, I need to buy a tree. And maybe a guitar. I don't know, I saw one at the bazaar today, and I'm thinking it could be really fun to use a guitar in my lessons with the younger kids. Plus it'd be nice to hone that skill a bit more... We'll see, I was too scared to ask how much it was, and I'm not made of hryven after all!

Also, I have my own internet now. That means I should be able to keep up with this blog a bit more. Hopefully! I haven't met with the teachers at school, but just by talking with my counterpart, I know I'm going to be involved in a lot of real cool projects. I absolutely cannot wait!

Happy winter, all!

No comments: