June 26, 2012

Land on the Edge

That's the literal translation of the word "Ukraine." And that's literally where I'm headed. To the edge!



That's right!!! My invitation was patiently waiting on my doorstep when I arrived home from work this afternoon. Rejoice! Ukraine, baby! I'm going to learn to say "Ukraine, baby" in Ukrainian, and that's all anyone's going to hear from me for the next three months. Україна, дитинко! It's going to get so annoying for everyone, they'll be begging me to leave.

Speaking of which, lots to do! Lots of forms to fill out, lots of things to buy, lots of research to search. I can't believe I know where I'm headed. It's the best feeling. A lot of the application process can feel directionless. For a long time, you're working towards some abstract, untouchable speck on the horizon. You know the idea of it. The prospect of what it all could be. But you don't really know. You never know! And then suddenly you do and you can point it out on a map! It's like putting a face to a name. It's like putting a feeling to a place.

And quite a glorious place, at that! 


I'm excited. I shouldn't get too ahead of myself with my annoyingly unflinching optimism. I know Ukraine will certainly have its pros and cons. But it's all about brightsiding, am I right?!

I'm right.

1 comment:

Rosy (of Raindrops on Rosy) said...

Wow that's exciting! I hope you have an awesome time!